January 20, 2023 4 Min Read
Unlocking the Benefits of Coaching: How Coaching Can Help You Reach Your Goals
Odds are you’ve got a goal. It could be a big goal. Something you’ve been thinking about for a while but haven’t had the time, energy, or motivation to work towards. You may want to run a marathon, write a book, or get a promotion at work. You may just need to get something done, like organizing your closets or planning weekly meals. But if you are trying to accomplish anything, big or small, you could likely benefit from working with a coach. But what exactly is a coach, and why would you partner with one?
What is Coaching?
Coaching is a collaborative relationship between a coach and a coachee where you establish goals, create action plans, and get accountability to help you reach those goal(s). In a coaching relationship, the coach’s role is to co-create solutions with the client. The coach often uses open-ended questioning to help the coachee clarify what they want to accomplish and ensure that the goal is clearly defined. They also help make sure that action steps align with those goals. The coach is not there to give you the answers, but to ask the right questions, and help the coachee establish a path that will arrive at the desired goal.
A Typical Coaching Engagement
Picture this. You jump on a call with your coach, a trusted partner who knows how to ask all the right questions to help you achieve your goals. You get to know one another, you share your desired outcome(s), and then they start asking probing questions in the best possible way. They might ask why this goal is important to you, how your work or personal life might change once you’ve achieved it, and what you’re willing to do to make it happen. They dig deep and get to the heart of things, trying to understand your motivation and help you plan for any obstacles that may be in the way. They make you feel like anything is possible.
You work together to develop a plan to get you where you want to be. You commit to taking the first step toward reaching your desired result. Then it is time to head out and take action, knowing that you’ll meet again at some predetermined time in the not-so-distant future. And at that time, your coach will want to know how things went. They’ll want to see if you followed through on your commitment, how it felt, and if any roadblocks are getting in your way. Then they can help you course-correct and strategize your next steps. You’ll continue to meet regularly to discuss your progress and adjust your plan as needed. Your coach will be by your side every step of the way as you push yourself to achieve your goal. And when you do, they’ll celebrate your achievement with you as if it were theirs.
Still not sure why you should partner with a coach? Read on.
Five Benefits of Working with a Coach
- Goal Clarity: Have you ever wondered why you have difficulty achieving your goals? Odds are it’s because they need to be more specific. Don’t worry. Your coach can help you get the clarity you need to succeed. Coaches are skilled at asking the right questions to help you identify your goals. Once your goal is clearly defined, you can work with your coach to create a targeted action plan to achieve it.
- Accountability: Have a great goal but still not making progress? You might benefit from continued accountability. If you’re like most people, you don’t mind letting yourself down, but you wouldn’t dare let someone else down. Enter your coach. Not only will they keep you accountable, but in most cases, they will also help you figure out what’s holding you back when you’re not moving forward.
- Motivation: Your goal is clear, and you have the necessary accountability. You’re making some progress, but sometimes you feel like giving up. Or you may have hit an obstacle that seems insurmountable. Have no fear. Your coach can help you with that. Together you can uncover ways for you to overcome challenges big and small. Your coach can offer encouragement, provide guidance on the best way to move forward, and give you emotional support when the going gets tough.
- Improved Performance: In many cases, your coach can also help improve your performance. They can provide guidance, identify growth opportunities, and offer targeted feedback to help elevate your game. Because most coaches have a distinct area of expertise, they can do more than help you set goals or keep you motivated and accountable.
- Unbiased, Confidential Thought Partner: When working with a coach, you can feel confident that what you say in your session stays in your session. Your coach does not have a vested interest in your success. That’s not to say that they don’t care. They do. Deeply. But the results you achieve don’t directly impact them personally or professionally. They are only operating with your best interest in mind. If you succeed, they succeed. Your coach is entirely unbiased and will keep your discussions confidential.
Ready to Partner With a Coach?
Do you have a goal that you know you’d like to achieve? Are you ready to take action and get to work? Could you benefit from partnering with someone to stay accountable and motivated? Would you like to improve your performance personally or professionally? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you would benefit from working with a coach. Book a Goal Setting session with a TaskHuman coach to get started.