Set-Up Guide to Podcasting
What is Needed: You will need a laptop or desktop computer. You may use headphones or a microphone if you have one, but it is not necessary if you prefer to use your recording device’s built in microphone and video camera. Here are some tips on how to set yourself up for a great podcast session.
- If you are using your computer’s built in microphone and camera, check both beforehand to make sure the microphone picks up the audio well and the video camera provides a good resolution video.
- If you are using a microphone or headphones, check it beforehand to ensure that it is free of any issues and that it can pick up the audio well.
- If you are using a connected video camera, make sure to test it and see how well it provides a good resolution.
- Make sure there is sufficient distance between you and the device so your full face and upper body is visible.
- The camera should be aligned with your eyes.
What Setting is Appropriate: We recommend using an indoor setting since those are typically the easiest to set up and are free from distractions in the background.
- First, the environment should be quiet and non-distracting.
- Make sure the room you will be in does not have an echo when speaking.
- Next, find a space that has plenty of natural light from a window and a clean, plain background that is clutter free.
- Gray, Creme or other lighter colored backgrounds seem to work best. Try not to use backgrounds that are very similar to your hair and skin color to avoid blending in.
What is required for lighting: While light rings are certainly a plus, they are not necessary. A space where you are directly facing a nearby window (the window should be behind the camera or computer), out of direct sunlight will be great.
What to Wear vs Not Wear: A good rule of thumb to follow is to dress for the industry you’re in while also keeping the following tips in mind.
- We recommend color choices that are contrasting from your background.
- We recommend a top that is free from any patterns, logos, and wrinkles.
- Avoid excessive jewelry, hats, scarves, sunglasses, as they can be very distracting.
- Hairstyles and facial hair should be neat and professional, and not obstructing the face.