January 20, 2023 3 Min Read
Set Yourself Up for Success: Establish a Journey Goal
Welcome to your TaskHuman Guided Coaching Journey! We’re happy to have you here.
The first step in your journey is to define your goal. Take a minute to think about this question: What’s the one thing you’d like to accomplish on your journey? You may want to grow your skillset or become a top performer. Perhaps you’re interested in taking on more responsibility or getting involved with a high-profile project. You may be preparing for a promotion or job change within your organization. Whatever your reason for participating in this program, now’s the time to get clear about what you want to get out of it. Here’s why.
The Importance of Setting Goals
Did you know that people who set goals and strive to achieve them are more successful and experience increased well-being? That’s what Anthony Grant and his research partners discovered in their 2008 study on executive coaching and goal attainment. Researchers in goal-setting theory at The University of Maryland also show that goals not only affect behavior and job performance but also help mobilize energy, leading to a higher effort overall.
Goals are essential because, when clearly stated and shared, they give us direction and a sense of purpose. They keep us motivated and on track and provide us with something to strive toward. Goals can also help us measure progress and maintain focus on our desired outcomes. That’s why your journey begins with an individual goal-setting session with a TaskHuman coach.
Establish Your Journey Goal
Now that you understand the value of setting goals, take a minute to select yours. What would you like to accomplish on your journey? Please select one of the following goals.
My goal is to:
- Grow the skills needed to excel in my current role.
- Develop strategies that allow me to be more effective, with less impact on my personal life.
- Cultivate the behaviors needed to take on more responsibility.
- Prepare for a promotion or job change within my organization.
- Expand my ability to create impact in my organization.
Prepare for Success
There are three things you should do to increase your likelihood of success when striving to reach your goal.
- Write it down. Keeping a written record of your goal will help you maintain your focus and help hold you accountable. This simple task only takes a few minutes, but it can significantly impact your likelihood of success. According to Gail Matthews, a psychology professor at Dominican University in California, you are 42 percent more likely to achieve your goals3 just by writing them down.
- Share it. There are several reasons it’s a good idea to share your goals with a trusted partner. They can hold you accountable, help you navigate obstacles, and celebrate your successes. The key is sharing your goal with the right person, someone who can be impartial and unbiased but also wants to see you succeed.
- Report your progress regularly. Most people don’t mind letting themselves down, but they wouldn’t dare let someone else down. You can increase your chance of success by setting up a regular reporting cadence with your trusted partner. Doing so will help you split your larger goal into smaller, more manageable steps. It will also allow you to reflect on your progress, motivating you to keep moving forward.
Get the Help You Deserve
Ready to clarify and personalize your goal? You have access to a wide network of qualified coaches on the TaskHuman platform that can help. Your coach will help you clearly define your goal, create a plan of action, and keep you accountable and motivated throughout your journey. And when it’s all said and done, they will celebrate your successes as if they were their own. Take a minute to book your goal-setting session today.
Curious about the benefits of coaching? Check out this article to learn more.